This is a slip-on loafer with style – your own style, because you can create these “catch phrase” shoes for yourself! I’ve seen very few companies making shoes like these, and I didn’t like everything they had to offer, so I sought to make my own. I found my blank canvas slip-on shoes in several colors and textures at H&M (example) for $12-15 per pair. You can also find similar shoes at Target, ASOS and Payless (click for examples, prices vary).
Here is how you can create your own pair of Catch Phrase Shoes:
– slip on shoes
– puff/fabric paint
– paper or plastic to cover your working surface
1. Decide on a phrase you’d like to display on your shoes, such as “Flaw – less” “TG – IF,” “Girl – Boss,” or “Fierce – Ness”
2. Brush shoes off and make sure they are free of lint or dirt, especially if you are using a pair of shoes that you have already worn.
3. Depending on the shoe material color, you can use your pencil to sketch an outline of your design to serve as a guide for the puff/fabric paint.
4. Shake and test your puff/fabric paint on the scrap paper or plastic to make sure it flows out of the tub steadily and evenly. You don’t want to spew paint on your shoes.
5. On your covered surface, carefully create your design by following your penciled guide or free-handing it, as I did with my shoes.
6. In some cases, designs require more than one phase. For the navy blue shoes, I drew the border first and let it dry for the required amount of time (4 hours, but I let them dry overnight). I then drew the PYT and heart on the shoes.
Once your shoes are dry, get your fashionista on and wear them with pride. You made them, after all – so they are just your style!
See a recent outfit that I styled with my catch phrase flats here!
xoxo, dolls & dudes!