I have this problem where I don’t like to throw my clothes away… I keep them because “maybe I’ll wear it another day?!” Is that really a problem, though? Naaah! I also like to style my clothes in several different ways to achieve many looks from them. Sometimes I even tweak pieces to get a new style from them. That is exactly how these fringe booties came about. I found these wedge heels for $10 while thrifting, and I wear them all too often once it gets cold outside. The new look they have after the fringe spices things up a bit!
How’s it done?
• Purchase Fringe and Velcro (with sticky back for fabrics) from your local craft/fabric store. You will also need a pair of scissors.
Fringe can be found near the ribbons and purchased by the yard at stores like JoAnn, where I purchased this black fringe.
• Measure the length of fringe you will need by wrapping it around the top of the shoe
~ For lace up shoes: add twice the length of the width of the velcro dot to the end.
~ For a zip up or slip on bootie, add the width of the velcro dot to the end.
• With my lace up bootie, I cut the velcro in half and placed the soft side of the velcro on the immediate interior of the shoe. This way, when the fringe is not intact, the rough velcro won’t scratch my skin.
• Place the rough side of the velcro on either end of the piece of measured fringe. Allow to set according to time on velcro instructions.
~ For other booties, place one side of the velcro on the exterior face of the fringe, and the opposing side of the velcro on the interior of the other end of the fringe. Make sure that it fits snugly.
• Once set, simply velcro the fringe in place, and VOILA!
You now have two different styles of shoes without even having to go shoe shopping! And as much as I love a brand new pair of shoes, I don’t mind avoiding the hustle and bustle of the shoe store sometimes. Heck, this may even count a little bit towards being sustainable! This is just a win-win-win situation, y’all. Go forth and fringe!
What is your favorite way to jazz up your wardrobe without having to add something new? Let me know in the comments below.
xoxo, dolls & dudes