My blog baby turns 3 today (12 February 2015)!!! Three years ago on this day, I posted my first blog post, not knowing what was in store down the road because of it. I sincerely love having the privilege to share my world right here, in my own way. I love when you all comment because you can dig it, or because you see something old used in a new way. There’s a lot of love in the blogging community, and I’m blessed to be a part of it. In honor of this day I did a photoshoot, because I love my blog baby so. This is the longest running job I’ve ever had, so it definitely deserves candles and cakes and a photoshoot. And guess what?! I’m doing a giveaway to share the Old World New LOVE with you! Some lucky people will get to revel in a few of my favorite sustainable & green products and other goodies. I’ll be revealing the prizes over the next two weeks on my Instagram (so go follow oldworldnewgirl & enter below).
Here’s a quick history tidbit about Old World New, the blog, and about me – for all that are new here, and just FYI.
• I started blogging 3 years ago as an assignment for my Professional Practice class in Interior Design. I became insanely obsessed with it, even though my only followers were my classmates. Check out my first post, “Unique Inspiration.” So much has changed, yet so much has flourished since then!
• I continued blogging for the love of it. (Little did I know about the big world of bloggers that I would discover 1.5 years down the line)
• I won a blogging competition hosted by my school: GreenBlogger. I blogged about sustainable things, which I still do, and plan to continue for always and forever.
• My focus was originally architecture, interior design and sustainability (my majors and minor in college).
• My current focus on the blog is the pursuit of a sustainable life and style. This is not to say that every post I share will be sustainable, because I’m not 100% sustainable. I hope to take everyone on a journey with me to discover how each of us can make the world a little better with small step into the huge world of sustainable living.
• One word: Thrifting! I also believe thrifting is an act of sustainability. By reusing that which already exists, there will be less cause to deplete the world’s natural resources. Plus, I find a lot of my favorite outfits at thrift stores! I hope to inspire you all to take a chance on thrift store. Release the mindset that old is dirty and wrong. You wouldn’t treat your elders that way (at least I hope not!). If a fabric and piece of clothing can stand the test of time (and being worn on several occasions), it deserves to continue to shine.
• I want to make the world a better place with this blog. I want you to come here and discover new tips to live more sustainably. I want you to find brands that make beautiful clothes and items in a sustainable and ethical manner. I want you to leave and go to a thrift store and actually purchase something you will wear and love. I want to make this Old World New! The work is hard and it is fun, but it has only just begun.
I will give one lucky winner the Old World New experience. When a Grand Prize Winner is chosen, I want to talk to you, gage what you know about sustainability and the thrifting life (trust, it is truly a lifestyle), and personalize a prize package just for you! Two more winners will receive a mini “green gift” package. Just follow the directions below, and you will be entered to win! THREE winners total – you could be one! Keep an eye on my instagram (oldworldnewgirl) as I reveal the smaller prizes.
Happy Birthday, Old World New. & Many, many more!
Pray, tell, dear folks. What do you know about sustainability? Are you “green?” Do you even know what being green truly means? What does it mean to you? Sound off in the comments below!
Besos, dolls & dudes =)