Small changes lead to big changes – the Home Depot’s selection of eco-friendly products will help you create a more sustainable home for your family and the planet.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Home Depot, but all opinions are my own. Old World New also uses affiliate and referral links. By clicking on certain hyperlinks, you may help me make a small commission off of your purchase, with no additional charges to you. These links help me to continue to provide valuable content here at Old World New, so THANK YOU for your support!
Greening Your Home with Home Depot
I often tell y’all about little changes that you can make in your everyday life that can help you live more sustainably. You know them as the Sustainable Living Tips and the Sustainable IRL Series here at Old World New. Choosing cloth napkins over paper towels is a sustainable daily alternative to be proud of. Sharing eco-friendly products as an option with you for when you need to invest in bigger products is necessary, too. I’m not talking “brand new smart home” big, but kudos to you if you make that investment and lifestyle change! Smaller and easier changes can be brought home in a reusable bag or in the bed of a truck straight from Home Depot.
The Eco Options program at Home Depot was founded in 2007 on 6 pillars – energy efficiency, water conservation, sustainable forestry, healthy home, clean air, and circular economy. With these six areas in mind, they began to more deliberately offer products that would help customers make environmentally preferred purchases. The Home Depot’s greatest impact is in the products it sells, so offering high quality products that can be better for the environment is an investment in a sustainable future that we all take part in.
click it to PIN it
Eco-Friendly Products at Home Depot
We visited our local Home Depot and searched for some of the eco-friendly products that they share on the Eco Options Green Projects page.
1) LED Lightbulbs
When those old typical bulbs are burnt out, upgrade to LED. You’ve probably already heard how LED lights are better for the environment, generate less heat, and how they can actually save you a few dollars each year. That’s great, but they can do even more. Innovative LED lighting
- EcoSmart Value Pack of LED Light Bulbs (dimmable, daylight) – they offer several different types of light styles, such as soft white, daylight, warm glow, colors, etc.
- Philips Wiz Connected Dimmable WiFi LED Light Bulb – this light bulb can be dimmed via a smartphone app!
- Feit Vintage Design LED Lights Bulb – some brands like Feit create bulbs that look like vintage and original bulb designs, but that are actually LED and more energy efficient.
2) Water Saving Fixtures
Did you know that in the 1980s, toilets used up to 7 gallons of water per flush? That’s a lot of wasted water. With improvements to not only toilets, but all water related fixtures in buildings, those numbers have drastically dropped. Since the mid-90s, toilets that use less than 2 gallons of water per flush have existed. However, we know that just because improvements have occurred, not every home instantly receives those upgrades. The tools below can help you make minor, non-permanent changes to your home in order to reduce your water usage.
- NeoPerl Sink Aerator – An aerator helps to maintain pressure of the water that comes out of a faucet while using less water to do so. This aerator is WaterSense approved & meets EPA standards.
- Earth 3-Spray 1.5 GPM WaterSense Certified Handheld Shower – WaterSense certified shower heads meet a standard of using a low GPM (gallon per minute) water flow while the water is running.
3) Portable Air Purifiers
Indoor air quality has a profound impact on the quality of our lives since studies show that the majority of us spend most of our time indoors. An air purifier helps to
- The GermGuardian HEPA Air Purifier System can purify the air in a space up to 180 square feet.
- The Dyson Pure Cool Link Air Purifier is able to clean the air in a space as large as 400 square feet.
4) Smart Thermostats
Smart thermostats have the potential to learn your favorite temperatures and automatically adjusts to them, be accessible via remote or WiFi, and it can help to reduce energy consumption, and thus your energy bill.
This is a huge category to clump together because there are so many energy-efficient appliances that you can find at Home Depot. Appliances with Energy Star certification meet EPA standards set for energy consumption.
- This Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator exceeds EPA Energy Star standards
- Samsung created an Energy Star & eco-friendly Front Loading Washing Machine with Steam & Super Speed.
6) Lawn & Garden
From mowing to planting a garden, there are earth friendly options available. We love our EGO battery powered lawn mower,
- EGO Battery Push Mower is a quieter, zero gas consumption method to mow the lawn. The battery is interchangeable between all of their products
- EcoScraps All Purpose Plant Food is made from food waste and used for organic gardening.
7) Building Supplies
Garage doors, sheathing, flooring, windows, HVAC – these are just some of the items identified by Eco Options at Home Depot as having the biggest environmental impact. You can explore these supplies and items in all of their Eco Options on their Green Projects page. Here are a few examples:
- Zero- and Low-VOC Paint to reduce the toxins that typical paint fumes create in your home.
- GREENGUARD® Gold- or FloorScore-certified flooring
- ENERGY STAR® Windows