I really LOVE to shop at thrift stores, and I’m lucky to have found some amazing friends who love to do the same. For fun, we pulled out our cutest Valentine’s Day inspired thrifted outfits for an epic Galentine’s Photoshoot!
I found this Fashion Nova one piece off the shoulder jumpsuit last summer and knew I had to have it to wear for a fun and special occasion. It was too hot to wear then, so I saved it, and a mild February day was the perfect time to spend the day in this jumpsuit. It’s perfect for a date night or an event where you get to dress up and let loose a little. I’m on a high heel strike, so I paired it with some tennis shoes, and I made it work! I was comfortable and cute, and you can’t tell me nothing when I have both of those going for me LOL!
Second Hand Fast Fashion
As much as I loved finding this piece so new at the thrift store, it reminded me of some important facts. Fast fashion is hurting our planet. As someone mentioned on my Facebook page – fast fashion had to exist for me to be able to buy this. I am ever aware of that. That’s why I believe that it is important to know multiple ways to practice sustainability, and to make changes across all areas of our life however we are able.
I can’t afford a lot of unique sustainably and ethically made new fashion lines. But what I can do is shop second-hand. Ideally, some would say I shouldn’t buy anything at all. But I believe this decision is for each individual to make. However, I just hope that me constantly writing about sustainability influences those who read it to learn ways to be more eco-conscious and actively make decisions based on the fact that it is better for the earth and for our collective future.
Quick Fast Fashion Facts:
• “Americans still throw away 13 million tons of textiles — about 85 percent of their clothes — each year, accounting for 9 percent of total non-recycled waste.” – PBS News Hour
• That breaks down to each person throwing away about 81 pounds of clothes each year. Y’all… I weighed like 90 pounds for most of my adult life. You were basically throwing ME away each year!
• “… 95 percent of used textiles can be recycled, 85 percent land in the trash.” – Saturday Evening Post
Now that we know the facts, let’s get to the fun. I met up with my friends, who also love thrifting, for a downtown Galentine’s Photoshoot, and we had a blast! It was fun to just be able to hang out for a while, and capturing photos is something we really enjoy getting to do together when we have the chance. We all thrift for several reasons, but what I love most is that we have such a genuinely great time when we get together to go thrifting, and even when we just talk about thrifting!
5 Thrifty Ways You Can Celebrate Your Gal’s on Valentine’s Day
- Go thrifting and be each others’ stylist!
- Dress up for fun and take each other’s photos – you’ll cherish them!
- Have a mini clothing swap between you and your friends.
- Find a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and try something new together!
- Have a vision board (physical or mobile) party and plan the future with your friends there to help you along the way!