Vinegar and lemon work together to create a refreshingly natural scented cleaner that does more good than harm. Make this non-toxic DIY to help keep your house clean, smelling fresh, and to avoid the toxic chemicals that most store-bought household cleaners expose your family to.aelCYID
DIY Cleaning Fun
Making your own cleaning products is becoming super easy these days, with recipes floating all around (like this collection of natural & eco-friendly non-toxic cleaner recipes). My favorite one is this super simple recipe that you can make, set, and forget until it is time to refill your non-toxic cleaning spray bottle.
As the title says, the recipe calls for lemon and vinegar, and that’s it! You can get fancy with optional add-ins for natural scents. These natural scents, even the lemon alone, are more safe for your family than the artificial fragrances which are full of chemicals that don’t have to be revealed to you. Why take a chance with toxic ingredients that companies don’t even have to tell you about? Instead, create your own non-toxic cleaning products that are safe for your family, your pets, and keep your indoor air quality balanced. Enjoy this DIY recipe & happy cleaning!
click it to PIN it!
Why LEMON & VINEGAR?
- a safe alternative to bleach
- biodegradable (unlike most store-bought cleaners)
- acidic, so helps break down scum and loosen dirt & grime
- fresh & natural scent
- stain and odor remover
Watch the Easy DIY
Here’s a visual of me creating my latest batch of this multi-purpose spray. See how it’s done in less than 3 minutes!
Make The DIY Non-Toxic Cleaning Spray
- Lemons (2 or 3)
- Vinegar (enough to fill your jar)
- Essential Oils (optional)
- glass jar with top (preferably an air tight mason style jar)
- jar small enough to fit inside the big jar (I used a small plastic icing cup out of a cinnamon roll pack)
- lemon juicer
- cutting board/surface
- 2 measuring cups with spouts (1 cup or 2 cup size)
- small funnel
- Cut lemons in half
- Use the lemon juicer to squeeze juice from lemons, pouring it into a measuring cup before you store it away. Use this lemon juice for a fresh recipes in your juicer, to make a cup of lemonade, or in something tasty this Shrimp & Bacon Pasta recipe
- Optional: After juice and most of pulp are gone, you can cut the lemons into smaller pieces. This isn’t necessary, but makes the process easier in the long run
- Place lemon rind pieces into the glass jar
- Pour vinegar over the lemons until the jar is mostly full, leaving enough room for the smaller cup/jar to be inserted
- Place the small jar on top of the lemons and vinegar, where it is high enough for you to remove it without difficulty (meaning, the liquid should be enough that it helps the cup float at the right hight, not too low where you can’t reach in and remove it)
- Pour a small bit of vinegar into the small cup so that it weighs the lemons down, causing them to stay submerged in the vinegar below. If the lemon starts to float above the vinegar, it could start to rot.
- Seal this mixture with the jar’s lid
- Place in a dark cabinet that doesn’t get opened often and let the mixture sit for 1-2 weeks.
- After the allotted time (1-2 weeks), remove the jar from the dark cabinet.
- Using the strainer and a large measuring cup with a spout/beak, strain the aged mixture from the jar into the measuring cup.
- Once the liquid is drained and free of pulp, seeds, etc, use the funnel to pour it into the spray bottle
- Now you can use your DIY Lemon and Vinegar Non-Toxic Cleaning Spray
How To Use This Lemon + Vinegar Spray:
- tub cleaner
- sink cleaner
- light toilet cleaning
- mix with water in a microwavable dish, microwave for 60 seconds, and then clean your microwave
Not Intended For:
- stone surfaces, like granite
- use as a disinfectant, because it doesn’t kill bacteria like salmonella
- stained or sealed wood surfaces or wood floors
Be sure to check out the collection of non-toxic & eco-friendly DIY recipes post to find more ways to safely clean your home! There are also several eco-conscious brands that create non-toxic cleaning products for household cleaning. Have fun creating your own cleaning spray!